Contact Me

Name

Email

Message

Created by Templates Zoo

GrizzlyGaming

Being a gamer. Part 3. "Do you believe in Magic?"



This issue's theme got me thinking a lot about how all the nerdy things I like doing, have changed over the last years. 

But what about me? How does one change?

In this opinion piece, I'll try to dive into those questions. Can you relate?

... As some of you guys might already know (if you follow me on instagram, facebook or twitter), I recently bought my way back into Magic: The Gathering (I literally bought a Deck Builder Tool Kit to jump back in).

I've enjoyed card games for a long time now but definitely Magic is my overall favorite. You now I'm a sucker for stories and extensive lore so most of the alluring charm I see in the game comes from that.

It was a tough decision to make but so far, I don't regret it. As a gaming adult, there's a lot of stigma to bear with when you go back into a card game after so long. I'm 26 now and I have priorities in my adult life that are way more crucial than gaming. Financial independence, sustenance, work and all those things you may or may not be familiar with at this point in your life. 
The truth is that gaming has also been very beneficial to my adult life. It did inspire my career choice and overall thinking process when it came to solving the challenges that I've faced during my well earned first quarter of a century.
When my 15 year old sister asked me, "how does this benefit you in real life?" I wasn't the least shaken. Because I have asked myself this question time and time again when the choice involves having fun for the sake of it. 




Fun has no practical uses in the eyes of most common folk. Fun is sort of something that happens when you are alive. 
It may or may not come to you, depending on how "horrible" your life is but it's generally viewed as something you hope for instead of an experience which is willingly chosen. it seems like fun is only valid when you're younger. "The older you get, the less fun you have", sort of thing.

"Why Magic?"

As we do with all the things in the world, we label and stigmatize fun too. We also elevate or dismiss certain activities as valid forms of being a human in need of entertainment and free excercise of our human condition. As if some ways of fun were more valid than others. 

Why do I play Magic? Because I enjoy it. It's quite a simple answer which shouldn't require much explanation. 
I do find pleasure in building a deck using my nature given brain. Sorting through cards for hours 'til I find just the one that I was looking for. Playing against other people and interacting with them socially in the process. It's a pretty amazing feeling. How something that you hold so precious, something that might not have that same value for others, connects you with other people.




That's the overall feeling I get when I'm gaming. This sense of connection. Of mutual silent agreement to just enjoy ourselves sharing something that we love. It's a very human thing. But as we grow we become more selfconcious about the things we do and the things we enjoy.

It's this transformation that makes going back to something you love just for fun, so conflicting. It feels so right but all the signs around you read "WRONG".

If you're going through something similar, the only advice I can give you is to stay true to who you are. Because this life is sometimes too hard to bear and cutting corners on doing the things that you love and sharing them with other people would be devastating. 

So pick up that old box full of cards and shuffle it all away.

GL HF and game on. 
Lex.




This article was also published on TRIBIC magazine, issue 4, page 08.

No comments

Post a Comment